Let me start out by giving you a little back story to this particular situation. It was a humid summer night in June of 08' or 09' around 2 am, I am a paramedic in a very, very rural area. We have a population of about 22,000 and 500 square miles, the service I work for covered all 911 calls during this time. I had been a paramedic for about two years, prior to that I had been an EMT for three. The majority of the calls we received were either shortness of breath, due to 50% of the community being retired coal mine workers with some form of COPD or emphysema to coal dust and the rest being drug seeking individuals with the occasional shooting/stabbing/car accident.

That particular night I was dispatched to a call of a female patient who was hearing voices and seeing things that was not there according to her spouse. Around this time is when bath salts and all of the synthetic medications exploded and people were overdosing quite frequently.  In my mind I knew this was what was going on before I even left my station, looking back now I honestly wished it was that. When I was given the address I was kinda shocked, it wasn't in the usual slums that we pick up overdoses. It was in a part of the county that was know to have very nice homes of working class people. Upon arriving to the persons home it reassured my thought, it was a well kept two story brick home. When I knocked on the door and announced my usually greeting "EMS (Emergency Medical Services), did someone call for an ambulance?" I was met by a 40ish year old man, I did not need to ask where the patient was. From across the room sat a female around the same age just starring at us with an empty stare. It sent chills down my both my partner and my spine. The type of stare I have never witnessed again, just empty. I introduced myself and my partner, and asked her name. Her eyes moved from my partner and looked me dead in the eyes and with a voice that should not of came from a 130lb female said "you are too late Joshua, they are already here." I asked her who was here, she was still starring me directly in the eyes and had not blinked and said "can't you feel us around you?"

At this time I had already decided I wanted the hell out of this home, all I could feel was heaviness that made me very uneasy. She had no medical history or took any medications according to her husband and was a very healthy looking individual. I refrained from asking any questions and just walked her outside as quickly as possible towards my ambulance, during this time she is muttering to herself and whipping her head from side to side as if someone were speaking into her ears. I'm not a religious person at all but this made me wonder if I was the right person to be taking care of this patient and not a priest. I loaded her into my ambulance, and began my normal assessment, she hadn't looked at me but was just shifting her eyes left and right never looking at anything for more than two seconds. I took her vital signs, applied a cardiac monitor and told her I intended on starting an I.V. on her, she suddenly starred at me once again and smiled with a malicious grin and said "do what you please, boy." I've never in my life felt so weirded out by a 130lb female, it was like looking into the eyes of evil. After starting my IV I sat behind her and began the ten minute transport to the hospital, all while I couldn't wait to get this thing out of my ambulance. All of a sudden five minutes into transport she began chuckling in a low, deep voice that turned my blood cold. I moved back over in front of her and asked if everything was okay, I was met with the same malicious grin and silence. She wouldn't speak, and didn't for the remainder of thr trip. About two minutes out I called the local ER and informed them I was coming with a very unique patient.

I personally knew all the nurses and physicians from working years along side them. They laughed me off until they saw her with their own two eyes. She wouldn't speak, just grin and stare. They placed her on the same equipment I had put her on and returned to the nurses station and I began to explain what had happened. They all got a good laugh at my expense as they could tell I was visually shaken. I just stated, "if you don't believe in evil, she will change your mind." At this time the monitor they placed on her that can be seen at the nursing station alarmed. Her respirations were 40 times a minute, her nurse who was a very good friend of mine walked into the doorway of her room and just gasped and placed her hand over her mouth and just froze. Curiosity got the best of me and I went over to examine myself, how I wish I would of just dropped her off to them and ran back to the station.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing, she was only touching the bed with the tips of her toes and the back of her head. Her entire body was in an arch, arms laid flat beside of her and her eyes souly locked on us two. She was panting in a way that sounded like a growl, we ordered the doctor into the room and he just said "Oh my God." He ordered her a very powerful sedative called Versed, which is what they give you right before you have surgery. 2mg is plenty enough to put a decent sized man to sleep for a while. She remained in this position for at least five minutes, it seemed a lot longer. Her eyes were dark and empty, her voice was otherworldly, my blood turned to ice. She didn't fight at all in administering the medication, twenty seconds later she was asleep or so we thought.

The Dr ordered a full head CT and blood work, I was pulled into her room by the nurses just incase she became violent or worse. I reached for her arm to place a tourniquet to help draw lab work, as soon as I touched her skin her eyes opened. She starred at me with this same empty eyes as the nurse went to get another dose of Versed. Two more MGs and she was still starring into my soul, I broke eye contact in hopes she would go to sleep. It never happened, this amount of medication could tranquilize anyone. We drew labs without an incident, all while hoping she would test positive for something. Her lab work came back as well as her CT, all was negative. Nothing was out of the ordinary in the slightest way, she hadn't even taken a Tylenol. While we were discussing with the Dr what would they do next the silence of this small town ER was broken by a blood curdling scream, followed by words in a deep, raspy voice that I will never forget "I am Legion." Then silence, at this time I had enough of this and returned to the station. I called the ER back about an hour later to see if anything else had happened, she was transferred to a psychiatric unit about two hours away. I never cared the check up on her and have no desire to this day. I pass that same home from time to time and it sends chills down my spine everytime.

This has become somewhat of a legend around the hospital, no one truly believes everything that happened. For the seven people who did witness what happened that night there is no doubt something otherworldly was there. Just writing and recalling that night put chills on me, it is one night I will never forget. That was the only time I looked at pure evil and I hope it is the last. I am 29 years old now and still work as a paramedic, everytime I get a call of someone hearing voices I can't help but think about her.
Quote 0 0